Terms of Reference
The Chair of the other Committees, the Chair and Vice Chair of Governors (and Task Groups where appropriate)
- To annually appoint a Chair and Vice Chair for the Committee, seeking approval for the recommendation of the Full Board [note: good practice suggests these appointments should not be employees of the school].
- To monitor and evaluate the allocated key areas of the School Improvement and Development Plan and to ensure all committee members are fully aware of, and understand, the ‘Key Performance Indicators’ which are the responsibility of that committee.
- To ensure an integrated approach to the management and development of the school.
- To ensure that all committees operate with a clear focus on the key priorities for school improvement.
- To ensure that the Principal is conducting a rigorous programme of school self-review and to receive reports from him on its progress.
- To take responsibility for any whole-school issues that are not the remit of any other committee which the Full Governing Board agrees to delegate to this committee.
- To have oversight of progress on all key issues for action post-Ofsted and/or on the School Improvement and Development Plan.
- To monitor and respond to complaints on behalf of the Governing Board.
- To commission appropriate Governor training.
- To establish and keep under review arrangements for Governors’ visits to school.
- To make recommendations to the Governing Board to establish exceptional working arrangements where particular circumstances arise, for example, a joint committee to oversee a building project or a special committee to oversee an Ofsted inspection.
- To be available and respond to matters of particular difficulty, sensitivity or emergency and offer advice to the Principal.
- To monitor the school’s Self Evaluation Form (SEF).
- To monitor and evaluate the allocated key areas of the School Improvement and Development Plan.
- To review policies allocated from the Full Board, as per the published schedule of review.
- To report to the Full Governing Board.