8 of the members for normal business
Terms of Reference:
- To hold the school accountable for performance
- To undertake the strategic direction of the school
- To assist in development planning
- To be accountable to the Trustees of the Trust
- To annually appoint a Chair and Vice Chair for the Governing Board [note: good practice suggests these appointments should not be employees of the school].
- To seek the approval for the membership, structure and skill set from the Trustees on an annual basis.
- To implement the policies of The Yare Education Trust and to establish and regularly update policies delegated from the Trust.
- To recruit new members as vacancies arise and to appoint new Governors* where appropriate, ensuring all Governors act in accordance with agreed procedures.
- To hold at least three Governing Board meetings a year*.
- To appoint or remove the Chair and Vice Chair*.
- To appoint or remove a Clerk to the Governing Board*.
- To establish the committees of the Governing Board and their Terms of Reference*.
- To annually approve the School Improvement and Development Plan.
- To decide which functions of the Governing Board will be delegated to committees, groups and individuals*.
- To approve the first formal budget plan of the financial year.
- To work in partnership with the Governing Boards of all other Trust schools.
* these matters cannot be delegated to either a committee or an individual
NB: It is noted that the Trustees of The Yare Education Trust also have a responsibility as to the competency of the Local Governing Board in relation to points 5 and 7.